Adding eCommerce

Because I am now retired, I thought I would like to supplement my pension with a little beer money, so I thought I would add a shop to my site and see if I could sell a few things to make a little beer money.

Well this has turned into quite a challenge. I searched the plug in for WordPress (WP) for a suitable shop plug in, and after searching for ‘shop’, I found I should be searching for ‘eCommerce’. Once I searched the right keyword, I found hundreds of plug ins. I tried several, and none of did what I wanted. They were all 5 star rated, and had several hundred thousand downloads, but still not quite right. Whilst searching I noticed lots of plug ins for the Woo Commerce plugin – who knew you would have a plug in to a plugin, if it was wall socket it would be regarded as dangerous. AnywayI downloaded ‘woo commerce’, and installed and activated it.

Woo Commerce looked as though it would do all I wanted, so I started setting it up. I appeared to be making good progress however there were some problems with the shop front display. I wondered if one of the previous plug ins I had installed and removed was affecting it. So I decided that rather than tear down and rebuild this site I would try on a completely new site. I had found whilst googling that I could use MAMP (Mac Apache MySql PHP) and install WP on top. I just happen to have a Mac Mini server not working too hard so I thought this will be good, the WP install will be on my local network, so it should be very responsive.

I found a set of instructions written by Raelene Wilson over on wpmudev with what seems to be a comprehensive set of instructions. I installed MAMP without any problem, however when it came to setting it all up to allow WP to be installed I struck a problem. After spending many hours trying to get it working – without success, I gave that idea up and decided to use a second live website that I have – it is not being used at present.

I set the website up exactly the same as this site with the same theme and a couple of blog posts from here. Then I installed Woo Commerce. It worked, but still with problems. After a little investigation I found that the theme I had chosen whilst not saying it was incompatible with Woo Commerce, did not say it was. I chose a new theme that said it was compatible with Woo Commerce, and bingo it all worked. Beauty I thought, I am on my way again. Alas this was not to be so.

When you install Woo Commerce The first thing you do is click a button to install the pages that Woo Commerce needs. Those pages were there, but it didn’t work properly, so I thought I will just delete the existing pages and reinstall them. That didn’t work either. So time to get a little heavier, this time i uninstalled Woo Commerce, deleted all the files, then did a fresh install. Drat it it still doesn’t work.

My plan now is to do a complete site on my other site, then delete this site and reinstall by importing from the other site. I will do a new blog in the near future, either with success, or more frustration.

 

Macca

Posted in General, Projects.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.